Limited Offer - Sign up now to receive 50% OFF!

Right to Rent

Sale price - Was £49, now £25 inc VAT for new customers
  • 0% Commission
  • Customisable Service
  • Full Support

Get Started

Sale price - Was £99, now £49 inc VAT

Published on


​From 1st February 2016

Under section 22 of the Immigration Act 2014 a landlord should not authorise an adult to occupy property as their only or main home under a residential tenancy agreement unless the adult is a British citizen, or EEA or Swiss national, or has a ‘right to rent’ in the UK. Someone will have the ‘right to rent’ in the UK provided they are present lawfully in accordance with immigration laws. Landlords who breach section 22 may be liable for a civil penalty.

The government

Here’s a video from the Home Office to explain the “Right to Rent” part as the rest is pretty straightforward:

If you don’t want to watch the video we can paraphrase: check your tenant’s ID and proof of citizenship to ensure that they have the right to be renting in the UK. Then approach it on a case by case basis. Also make note of the dates of any visas to ensure they don’t run out during the tenancy as they would then no longer have a right to rent.

Here’s a handy guide from the government to help you with checking immigration documents:

The full advice section from on Right to Rent immigration checks:

Tagged with:

Looking to sell your home instead? Try